Riviera Travel - Solo Traveller Forum

First time traveller

Discuss Riviera's solo holidays, talk about travel in general, share tips and read reviews.

Moderators: Riviera Travel, Erik RivieraTravel

JaneB

08 Aug 2019, 06:26  

Hello. I've booked to go on the solo trip to Italy next month. Ive never been on holiday by myself before. I'm looking forward to it but still a little apprehensive. Would love some feedback both on travelling solo but also anyone who has been on this holiday.

Thanks Jane

Erik RivieraTravel

08 Aug 2019, 08:14  

Dear JaneB,

I hope some of our regular forum users will have some useful tips on travelling solo. But with regards to feedback on our Classical Italy tour I can recommend looking at our testimonials section on our main website (link below) where people who have actually been on the tour have left their comments:

https://www.rivieratravel.co.uk/testimo ... travellers

Catlady69

08 Aug 2019, 14:31  

You'll be surprised how easy it is Jane. I've been travelling alone for a few years now, and have never yet had a holiday where I was left out in the cold. People tend to be friendly and "adopt" single travellers, particularly women, so go for it, stop worrying and enjoy yourself. I haven't been on this holiday but Italy is beautiful! Have a wonderful time.

Hazel

11 Aug 2019, 14:23  

Hi Jane I am a first time traveller too. It sounds like you might be going on the same holiday as myself Classical Italy on 26th September. Like you I am feeling apprehensive and don't know whether I am looking forward to it or dreading it!! I guess when you have travelled a few times on your own you get more confident. Hopefully we might meet up. I am flying from Birmingham so if you are flying from there perhaps we might meet each other (not quite sure how) but would be nice to have some company on the flight and coach to Arezzo. Look forward to hearing from you. Hazel

JaneB

18 Aug 2019, 17:28  

Hi Hazel. I am flying from Birmingham. Would be good to meet up. I think we are met at check in by our Riviera rep so we can get together then. Look forward to meeting you. Jane

Hazel

02 Sep 2019, 15:47  

What a good idea. When I see Rep will ask her if she can point out anymore ladies at checkout for me on same trip. Perhaps place to meet would be with Rep. I will mention your name in case you get there before me. Its difficult at checkout you can't very well go round checking everyone's labels on cases if they aren't part of our goup. They might think you a bit strange! Hope to see you their. Perhaps we ought to wear a red flower in our lapels for recognition!!

Erik RivieraTravel

02 Sep 2019, 16:12  

Dear Jane and Hazel,

You will each be sent a couple of Riviera luggage labels in our very fetching shade of turquoise, so hopefully if everyone places one on both their hold and hand luggage then it should be easier for you to recognise and find each other!

Alan

09 Sep 2019, 11:13  

Like many posters on here I'm a "new" widower, looking to take a solo holiday for the first time. Any advice as to destinations, I'm thinking of a short break next January as a taster, flying from Manchester - Marrakesh, Berlin etc, or Bologna etc seem to fit the bill. Any advice from other "newbies" ? Whilst I won't be the youngest person on such a holiday I still have a pulse...

Erik RivieraTravel

09 Sep 2019, 11:35  

Dear Alan,

First of all welcome to Riviera Travel. I have to admit that January is a bit of a quiet period for us and so we don't have a huge selection to offer you then, with our 8-day Spectacular Nile cruise the closest to a short break (though it departs from Heathrow I'm afraid). However, if you are not so prescriptive on dates, then in early February we have a Marrakesh tour on the 2nd departing from Manchester that probably fits your bill (priced at £859 for a 6-day tour).

Or if you're happy to travel later this year we have a 7-day Classical Spain tour, as well as 8-day Madeira and Sicily tours all departing from Manchester in November, or our 4-day Bologna city break in late October also from Manchester

Other potential tours that could be worth thinking about are Paris by Eurostar in November (4 days), Palermo from Gatwick in November (4 days), Tenerife and La Gomera from Manchester in February (8 days).

My suggestion would be to give us a call and then you can discuss your preferences with one of my colleagues in our reservations team and they can see what best suits your wishes and requirements.

Best regards,

Erik.

Alan

09 Sep 2019, 13:20  

Thanks for the welcome, Erik. I'll certainly give your reservations team a ring tomorrow. I do, though, prefer to take the short break in January and to fly from Manchester - however I'll see what's on offer. Any thoughts on the breaks I mentioned from other travellers?

•   Information