Riviera Travel - Solo Traveller Forum

Classic Italy 7th October 2019

Ask the Riviera Travel team questions about the holidays, your booking or solo travel in general

Moderators: Riviera Travel, Erik RivieraTravel

Debbieh

08 Sep 2019, 13:54  

I have booked on to Classic Italy holiday for 7th October 2019. Does anyone recommend buying tickets in advance to visit the Colosseum? I would also like to see the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill but don't want to book tickets and be the only member of the group to do this. Thanks for any advice

Debbie

Erik RivieraTravel

09 Sep 2019, 09:24  

Dear Debbie,

First of all welcome to Riviera and I hope you have a lovely holiday with us. With regards to the Colosseum, if you want to visit we highly recommend you purchase your ticket in advance as it is not possible to book them on the door and they are set for a specific entry time. I would therefore recommend you buy the ticket for entry on your free day in Rome when you can spend the best part of the day exploring the forum, Palatine Hill and the Colosseum using a combined entrance ticket - there is even a regular bus that departs from within a couple of minutes' walk of the hotel direct to the Palatine Hill (which our tour manager will point out to you). We do not include this as an excursion since not all of our clients are interested in visiting and it does require a fair amount of time to see properly (also people tend to go through museums at different speeds, so by visiting independently you can see it at your own pace without either feeling rushed or having to wait on other people).

The official website for pre-booking tickets to the sites is via Coop Culture: https://www.coopculture.it/en/colosseo-e-shop.cfm

I hope that helps,

Erik.

Debbieh

27 Sep 2019, 15:31  

Hi Erik
Is it generally safe for a solo female traveller to walk around Rome in the daytime?
Thanks for any advice

Erik RivieraTravel

27 Sep 2019, 15:43  

Dear Debbie,

Yes it is generally considered to be safe, even for solo female travellers. Of course there are risks, but they would be similar to walking around the centre of London for example. The most likely sort of crime tourists encounter is petty crime such as pick-pocketing, which is prevalent in heavily touristed areas and one should be wary of. However annoying these are, they are unlikely to pose a threat to your person.

As with all places, exercise caution and common sense, but do not let it put you off.

Erik.

•   Information