Riviera Travel - Solo Traveller Forum

Vietnam and Cambodia

Discuss Riviera's solo holidays, talk about travel in general, share tips and read reviews.

Moderators: Riviera Travel, Erik RivieraTravel

Riviera Travel

04 Mar 2019, 20:06  

Hi Kelly. At the moment the ages range from early 40s to mid 70s on this date

lizzyd4

28 May 2019, 14:09  

Hi, I have booked the September solo trip to Vietnam/Cambodia. I’m a ‘newbie’ at this. Anyone else booked on this trip?

Roddy

02 Jun 2019, 05:00  

I desperately want to do this trip but are flights included.

Riviera Travel

03 Jun 2019, 07:56  

Hi Roddy, absolutely! all of our holidays always include flights - let us know if we can do anything to help you get booked on

Saz

14 Jun 2019, 21:24  

Hi Everyone!

I have a provisional space booked on the trip on 29th November but I’m concerned I’m going to be the youngest person on the tour! I’m 31, is there anyone else of that age going??

I’ve also read reviews about landing at 5:30am but then not being able to access a hotel room until 13:00, after an 11 hour flight surely that can’t be the case?

I’ve also read that it’s recommended $288 is days worth of tipping...is this the norm?

Apologies for all the questions - I’m new to solo travel! :)

Saz

18 Jun 2019, 07:18  

Hi, I am 31 and provisionally booked on the solo traveller tour on 29th Nov. Is anyone else of that age going on the tour??

Erik RivieraTravel

18 Jun 2019, 08:54  

Dear Saz,

I do apologise for the time it has taken to reply to you, but I wanted to make sure I got all the correct information in response to your questions.

First of all with regards to your age it is true that most of our clients are generally older (60's and 70's) our long haul tours are on average younger than our European ones as they can be a little more strenuous. And whilst you would be the youngest to go on our Vietnam and Cambodia tour, our last departure had a couple of people in their 30's as well as a few in their 40's, so at 31 you would not be a complete outlier. Currently there is also another client booked on the November tour who is also in their 30's.

With regards to the time of arrival, it is true that the plane lands early in the morning. We then go and have breakfast together by the hotel before relaxing for a while with tea and coffee in the hotel itself. It is correct that at this stage it is generally not possible to access the rooms but the hotel is very efficient and we generally manage to get most clients into their rooms well before the official check in time. Also whilst waiting there is the possibility of doing a cyclo (rickshaw) tour around old Hanoi.

And finally with tipping we do not advise as to how much you should tip, however tipping is standard practice in southeast Asia and is often an important source of income for people who do not get paid very much. Our tour managers are happy to give advice with regards to this during the tour.

I hope that answers most of your questions, though if you have any more please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Erik.

Steve-S

12 Jul 2019, 10:47  

I'm going in September (my first Solo holiday) and looking again at the itinerary, wondered if when visiting the religious sites and mausoleums long trousers had to be worn. I wouldn't want to end up packing the wrong type of clothes.

Erik RivieraTravel

12 Jul 2019, 12:09  

Dear Steve,

Yes, we would recommend long trousers (at least below the knee) and sleeved shirts / T-shirts, ideally as far as the elbow or more.

Personally I find zip-off trousers really useful for this as they provide versatility whilst cutting down on how much you have to pack.

I hope that helps,

Erik.

Hmca

17 Jul 2019, 11:33  

Hi.

I'm booked on the September trip and very much looking forward to it. Any recommendations for the best mosquito spray? I tend to get eaten by everything!

Helen

•   Information