Riviera Travel - Solo Traveller Forum

India in 2020

Discuss Riviera's solo holidays, talk about travel in general, share tips and read reviews.

Moderators: Riviera Travel, Erik RivieraTravel

Lovetravel

28 Jul 2019, 14:43  

I am about to book my first solos holiday with Riviera, although I have been on a previous trip and a river cruise. Is anyone else considering the tour to India? I'm not sure whether to book March or April - will there be a big difference in the temperature? Any help/information would be much appreciated and I'm anxious not to commit until I have all my facts straight. Many thanks for any help you can offer.

Erik RivieraTravel

28 Jul 2019, 16:50  

Dear Lovetravel,

April is warmer than March, which means average high temperatures in Delhi and the lowlands exceed 30 degrees. However up in Shimla April is considered more pleasant than March, with the average daily high at 19 degrees instead of 14. I suppose it depends what you prefer: if you like it warmer then go for April, if you find the heat more difficult to cope with then go for March. However both months are during the dry pre-monsoon period, so you don't need to worry about the rain!

I hope that helps,

Erik.

Lovetravel

28 Jul 2019, 16:57  

Thank you Erik. So April it is and I'll be staying at the wonderful-sounding Oberoi Cecil Hotel for my birthday! Very excited!

Lynne

15 Aug 2019, 08:04  

Third travel with riviera South Africa Portugal and now India in October visa sorted but what do I do about the money sterling, card or both.
Where can I get the rand?

Erik RivieraTravel

15 Aug 2019, 08:19  

Dear Lynne,

I assume you're talking about Indian rupees rather than rand? If so then the rupee is a closed currency and you cannot buy outside of India. Therefore we suggest you take sterling cash as well as a credit/debit card (or two, and keep in different locations in case one is lost). With the cards it is a good idea to inform your card provider that you will be travelling abroad so that they don't block it by accident.

Erik.

•   Information